.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls - it's what's for dinner!

After a couple of weeks of very cold weather, I was thinking that I needed to cook one of our comfort meals for dinner tonight.  Cabbage Rolls are delicious and in case you're wondering my mom makes the best of the best. My cabbage rolls don't come close to hers but have found my recipe is an acceptable second. :o)  

Ingredients you'll need:

1 Large Head of Cabbage
1 Large Pot filled with water

Filling
2 cups of cooked, long grain rice.  Add 1/2 cube of vegetable buillion to water.
1 lb. vegetarian crumbles (i.e Boca Burger or Morning Star)
1 medium onion diced
salt & pepper
Lots of lemon
 Before boiling cabbage, core and save outer damaged leaves.  Save outer leaves for lining steamer base.
 Place cabbage in a large pot filled with water and bring to a slow boil. Pull leaves off as they become wilted. Drain and cool.
When removing the leaves, there is a thick ridge that runs from the base of the leaf and is not very flexible. Use a sharp knife and trim or shave off this ridge to make the leaf more uniform in thickness and easier to roll up.
Sautee' onion until clear then add 1 bag of crumbles. Add mixture to cooked rice then add salt and pepper to taste.
 Place a cabbage leaf on the cutting board in front of you with the base (ridge side you shaved off towards you). Add approximately the pictured amount of meat/rice mixture. I would give a measurement, but each of my cabbage leaves are different sizes and I adjusted the filling accordingly. I am sure you will too.

Fold the side facing you, forward over the meat mixture. Fold the left and right sides in towards center, then roll forward.
Tah, Dah! Cabbage rolls!
I cover the bottom of my steamer with 2 saved outer cabbage leaves then place the rolled cabbage snuggly together. 
 
 Cover the top with sliced lemons.
Fill your steamer with water and cook for 20 -30 minutes. This recipe yields approximately 2 dozen cabbage rolls. 

I enjoy eating my cabbage rolls with lots and lots of freshly, squeezed lemon. Yum! I can hardly wait for dinner tonight!!

Update:
*slurp* dinner was yum. :o)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMM! Looks soooooo deeeee-lish! I can't wait! Ev and I will work up a good appetite in gymnastics too!! -D

amber o said...

Those looks so tasty!