.

Friday, June 26, 2015

I Am So Much More Than Ok

What an awesome day to celebrate that my marriage is legal. 20 years ago to this exact day, I (Deona) came out to my parents. It was terrible. It changed our family forever. Hurtful things were said; things that made me feel less human; things that made me question my own existence. I moved out immediately and didn’t speak to them much over the next several months. It was to date the roughest part of my life. I had nothing except the clothes I left the house with and Shelby (my car). I could’ve stayed at home if I agreed never to see my ‘gay’ friends again, go to counseling and leave that life behind. For me it was the first time I felt like I understood who I was, and I wasn’t about to give that up. I slept on friends’ floors and sofas in Denton. I relied heavily on those friends and my camp friends who stuck by me for guidance and acceptance. I struggled daily with my decision and cried often about what I was putting my family through. It meant I would never be married, never have kids, never have happy times with my family again, never be comfortable in a job…lots of nevers. My how 20 years can change things. I am so grateful today to be able to celebrate my love and life with an amazing wife and our 2 incredible boys. I am continually energized by the love and support our family receives by our parents, our friends and most of our family members. I wish I could tell my 19 year old self not to worry, that it would all be ok eventually; that I would be ok. I am so much more than ok. ‪#‎lovewins‬

No comments: