.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bluebonnets, dandelions & discrimination

A very important lesson today. Never, EVER leave home without your camera. Today, we had a mini-session appointment with a local, photographer, "Erin Noll". Her bluebonnet mini-session seemed ideal for our family; especially with a newborn.

When we arrived, we sensed she was uncomfortable with our family, especially after I introduced Deona as my partner. She proceeded to shoot several shots, yet with little direction, instruction and offered no information unless prompted by us.

After our session, I felt the need to grab my camera and at least get a couple of shots of Everett playing in the field, before we left.







When we got home this evening, I received an email from Erin:
"I am very sorry but the memory card on my camera failed this evening. I am vey sorry. Here is a list of photographers in the area that could help you retake pictures:http://www.decidio.com/local-businesses/photographers-arlington-texas-s53.html, Erin Noll Photography"

I felt the need to reply...
"Dear Erin, I'm sorry to hear the news. We gathered something like this might happen, since we sensed your discomfort immediately and also because you are referring our business elsewhere. Luckily i had my Canon with me and was able to get a few shots in for ourselves.
No need to give us a list of photographers, we have a couple we use frequently, just thought your bluebonnet mini session opportunity sounded ideal, especially with a newborn.
We tend to forget there are some people who turn away great business because of their fear to grow beyond what they are familiar with and/or comfortable with.
Just something to ponder....word of mouth is your strongest marketing tool....please reconsider how you conduct your business.
My best,
-Monica "

I'm angry, yet saddened that she's probably deleted so many photos of my beautiful family. Even so, i must remind myself that loving one another is the core of our Christian walk, even when my family has been discriminated against.

I'm so glad I had my camera, I had fun shooting Everett in the bluebonnets.

Note to Ori: We just need to hire you. You up for hire? :o)

4 comments:

Sal and Trace said...

what a shame - though GREAT reply. very well written!! congratulations.

LOVE the pictures that you took. Ev looked like he had a great time. He's such a cute little boy.... and getting so BIG!!

Jen said...

I hate to hear about small minded people but what can you do? I agree that you wrote a great reply and I hope that she is ashamed of herself. Glad to hear that you made the best of your day, those are great pics of Ev.

Ori said...

Yes, I will happily photograph your family. Anytime. Love you guys.

I just hope that Erin sees this gift she was given to learn about love and acceptance.

Jenifer said...

That makes me furious! I can be as hot-headed as you Hooch, and I know you had to fight the urge to send her a few choice words. The professional thing for her to have done would have been to say something from the beginning instead of proceed with the shoot. I'm proud of you for setting an example and taking the higher road. I hope she realizes what she missed and learns something from this experience. You did a fantastic job catching some great shots anyway. After looking at her website, I think Danielle can do a better job anyways. Love you guys.