.

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Our wonderful camping weekend

We're back from a fantabulous weekend of camping at Fort Parker State Park.
I was super excited about posting pics and news, however, I discovered soon after trying to turn on the computer, it crashed. I realized my post would not happen. :( boohoo.
LUCKILY, I remembered we have a back up computer! Even though it's slower, I can at least share some news and photographs. More pics will come at a later time.
As mentioned, we had loads of fun on our camping trip. Deona, Ev and I headed out Friday morning in the motorhome to meet uncle Donato, aunt Tammy and cousin Chad. Much of the weekend was spent relaxing, cooking, eating, hiking, roasting marshmallows, laughing, enjoying not having a schedule, and watching aunt Tammy spoil Everett.


Ev's chicken feet, aka aunt Tammy's gloves.

Friday night Donato made delicious lentil soup:

We attempted to play a couple of games (RummyCube and Yahtzee) in the motorhome. I say "attempted" because we really couldn't figure out how to fit all five of us around a teeny, tiny dining table. We even attempted bringing in the long, narrow folding camping table. It didnt work, either. Oh well, it was worth the attempt. We'll have to figure out something for next time.
Saturday morning, I fixed potato and egg tacos and Deona made "Martin's Homemade Salsa" (Martin is my dad). Deona and I can easily eat a blender full in one sitting; this time, we had to share. :)

Our hike around the park:



Grammie and Grampy drove down Saturday to spend the afternoon with us; after a hike around the park, we roasted hotdogs and S'mores over the campfire.

It happend to be Don & Debbie's (Grammie & Grampy's) 40th wedding anniversary, we're glad they were able to spend some of their day with us.



After Grammie and Grampy left us, we decided to bundle up, and take a dam hike. :) The weather was clear and the air was crisp. We bundled Ev in a sweatsuit, jacket, hat and wrapped him snuggly in his stroller with a fluffy warm blanket.
On our hike to the dam, Chad and Donato took some beautiful pictures of the sunset, birds, foliage and armadillo. I didnt have my camera, so I wasnt able to get any of these worthwhile pics. I'm hoping they'll share so i can post some of them. Yes, Everett slept through the entire hike.
After returning to camp, Deona and I prepared and cooked vegetarian chili, in a dutch oven, over hot coals. It was a perfect end to a chilly day.
Sunday morning rolled around. It was time to clean up, load up, empty the gray and black water tanks (ick), say our goodbyes, and head back to our homes. :(

The drive home was treacherous; especially in a motorhome, the winds were incredibly strong. Thankfully we all made it home safe and sound.
I feel incredibly blessed to have had this opportunity. I wish you all at least one time comparable to this one...it is great for the soul, makes you calm and ready to face whatever happens. Can't wait to go camping again!

No comments: