.

Monday, May 30, 2011

What Matters Most

I love watching Everett play. Everett LOVES to play. Lately he's been using his imagination creating lots and lots of scenarios with his toys.  
Seen here, Everett asks his animals if they want to go to the birthday party.   The conversation goes something like this:  "What you doing puppy? Want to go to the hirthday party? Okay, lets go!"
Today, Everett found the boas and tiaras we bought for Ori's birthday party back in March.  Everett was really excited to find them.  The conversation with Mama went something like this:
Ev: "OH WOW! How bout peesh one?" (peesh = this,  in Everett lingo)
Deona: "Oh you want to put that tiara on your head?"
Ev: "uh-huh and how bout peesh one?"  (now talking about boas)
Deona: "Do you want pink or green?"
Emory: "Pink!"  As Deona places boas around neck Everett shouts out " How 'bout Green?!"

Everett had so much fun showing off and looking at himself in the mirror. 
I love this developmental stage.  Everett loves playing with whatever makes him happy.  He knows no difference between the stereotypical "boy" and "girl" toys, and I like that very much.  I've always felt that if I raised my children simply as young people and not in gender specific ways, then they would come to their own conclusions as to what traits they wanted to have. Their strengths would come from feeling self-confident and trusting their own feelings.  
I wish more parents felt the same way I do.  It saddens me to know there is a high probability our Everett will be in the same classrooms with children who have been brainwashed taught dolls are for girls and trucks are for boys. If you agree with this thinking, please teach your children never to tease because of the toys a child chooses to play with.   True story....One time while shopping in Target I overheard a mom telling her son he couldn't have the doll he had chosen because "it's a girl toy and  your daddy will whip your ass if i got it for you". I did everything in my power not to knock the living sh*t out of that woman.  I was so incredibly sad for the young boy.  Here's a newsflash people: Your son will not turn gay if he plays with dolls and your daughter will not become a lesbian because she played with G.I.Joes!!  Okay, getting off my soapbox now. :-) 

Well all that to say, Everett loves to play. "Boy" toys, "girl" toys, it doesn't matter.  At the end of the day his happiness is what matters most to me.

3 comments:

Sal and Trace said...

That's fantastic that Everett loves to play with all his toys and uses his imagination. My boys do a little, but would not have the conversation you wrote with their toys.... well, not that I have heard anyway.

I agree with your idea of non-gendered toys and play. My boys have had dolls and prams in the past, but interestingly they seem to prefer and gravitate towards traditional "boys" toys anyway. Having said that, if we could afford one of those neat play kitchens i KNOW they would LOVE it. They love helping me in the kitchen and garden.
I dont think I blogged about it, but a few weeks ago i went and bought the boys some new slippers as the weather is starting to cool down here and we have floor boards. K-mart had kids slippers on sale for $5, so naturally when i went there was hardly anything left. Only 2 possibilities that would fit, a blue pair with a green monster and a pink pair with a purple butterfly. Ethan was delighted with his new pink slippers. He continues to love them and talk about them weeks later :)

Thank you for taking the time to make so many comments on all my recent posts, i do love getting your comments. In answer to your question, ganache (not sure if i am spelling it right) is chocolate and cream melted together. It is like a thick cream consistency when warm, and sets hard when refrigerated. It's used like frosting on a cake, but tastes like chocolate rather than sugar! Yummmm. I used white chocolate for my ganache.

ROOT226 said...

Ahh, love your comments Sal. :) i especially love your pink slipper story and of course your description of ganache. mmmmmmm needing something sweet to eat now. HA! Love hearing from you!

Ori said...

Hear! Hear! It crawls all over me when the girls announce some gender stereotype and they are only 6 and 4. They have already been exposed to it. I find myself repeating regularly, "there are no boy or girls toys only toys"..or some variation of it for other things like haircuts and clothes.

I agree, it has an effect on their confidence especially with peers.

Love that boy!